Re: OT:Script idea/problem

On Thursday 08 April 2010 02:43:22 Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-04-07 18:59, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Here is my idea:
> > First, in my village, I 'convert' quiet a few people (about 15 boxes) to
> > use Debian. They  are rather happy about it, but I have a problem with
> > update/
>
> Stable or Testing/Unstable?
>
> > upgrade: they never know when they should do one. Most of them don't read
> > English, so subscribing them to debian security mailing list would not
> > help. And most of the time they would not know if the package(s) listed
> > is/are in their box. But kmail (and certainly other mail client) can run
> > some script according to the sender address. So, if we had a script that
> > can read the subject of mail coming from debian security, -- they always
> > have the same layout : [SECURITY] [DSA 2029-1] New <packagename> packages
> > fix....--then
>
> Realistically, the threat level that *desktop* Debian users are
> exposed to is pretty minimal.
>
> > compare the package incriminated with the packages installed in their
> > box, and keep the mail if the package is present, otherwise trash it. I
> > think they will be able to see it is a mail from security and that they
> > have to update their machine.
> > So, if someone could help me to put that script together it will be a big
> > help. I have done a bit of programming so time ago in Turbo Pascal and in
> > asme (old time....).
>
> I'd just say, "Do it on a regular basis", where regular is "weekly".

They all but one have a Lenny install. The squeeze one is no problem for me,
the owner is quiet active in learning gnu-linux, and he is taking care of his
machine.
Yes, Ron, I told them to do it on a regular time, every other week, but they
don't do it. So a mail telling them it' s time could help. Well, if it is too
complicated I will have to still go around every now and then to upgrade their
box, but it's a pain in .....
Thierry