Re: Spam

On 7.4.2010 19:07, Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 07:24:58AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
>> Freeman writes:
>>> Has there been an increase of spam on the list over the past few
>>> weeks?
>>
>> I have observed a general increase in spam.
>>
>>> I started filtering the list, which I don't like doing.
>>
>> I've been filtering the lists for years.  The listmasters do a good job,
>> but their filters can't know my ham as mine can.
>>
>>> But no avail.  I assume it passes my filters for the same reason it
>>> gets by list filters.
>>
>> The latter is mostly a matter of sheer bulk: almost every message that
>> hits the Debian servers is spam.  What filters are you using?
>> --
>>

> Good to know the Debian people are talented at that. Hate to think about the
> sea of spam though.
>
> I am remembering that my provider uses Spamassassin, but the settings are
> light and it has never filtered Debian list addresses that I've seen.
>
> I use Spambouncer on procmail. List spam is getting a spam-score of 0.
> pattern matching is on.  So I might add some more aggressive block-list
> services to get that score up.

I use SpamAssassin in my email server, and it does not get much spam
points with spam posted to mailing lists. The email headers are mean
much in spam analysing, and when the sender is a Debian or Apache
server, they do not look spammy.

But then, I don't get much spam from mailing lists. I get hundreds of
real spam daily, and a spam or two in a mailing list does not make me
sad. Mailing list maintainers do pretty good job filtering IMHO.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend too much time reading
this sort of trash.