Re: nvidia legacy driver//kernel 2.6.32 issues

On Tuesday 06 April 2010 12:02:12 Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:46:35 -0400 (EDT), Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > Following "apt-get dist-upgrade" with debian squeeze i386, upgrading
> > from kernel 2.6.30 to 2.6.32, the xserver was broken at "startx"
> > because kernel compiled with gcc 4.3 while now gcc 4.4. I could only
> > boot from previous 2.6.30 to have the xserver at startx.
> > (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
> > (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
>
> There is a solution to this.  It was discussed on this list in the last
> couple of months, I think; but I didn't find it on a quick look-see.
> I'll have another look later when I have more time.  It involves
> generating the nvidia kernel module with module-assistant.  But I'll
> have to find the thread for the specifics.

I tried using module assistant with kernel 2.6.32 and it failed, so I
downloaded the .run file from nvidia and it built (after issuing "export
CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.3") and installed and runs fine here (squeeze amd64).  Did
you (OP) purge the Debian packages first, and did you use nvidia-xconfig to
generate a conf file?

-Chris

|   Christopher Judd, Ph. D.                                           |
|   Research Scientist III                                             |
|   NYS Dept. of Health                           judd@wadsworth.org   |
|   Wadsworth Center - ESP                                             |
|   P. O. Box 509                                    518 486-7829      |
|   Albany, NY 12201-0509                                              |

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.