RE: How to list packages in various priorities or sections

Mon, 5 Apr 2010 17:47:36 -0400 <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Mike Viau <viaum@sheridanc.on.ca> wrote:
> > I have used aptitude show $(package_name) to list the details of a given
> > package.
> >
> > In the output of the vlan package for example one gets output like:
> >
> > [snip]

> > Section: misc
> >
> > [/snip]
> >
> > How might one determine all packages (installed or not) that fall under a
> > particular "Priority" or "Section" ?
> >
> > I was thinking something pseudo like aptitude show $(all packages) | grep
> > (essential or required or important or standard or optional or extra)
>
> aptitude search ~s<section>
> aptitude search ~p<priority>

Thanks for the tip. I noticed ~p works with all but the essential priority for some reason.

With your tip I was able to find this link:
http://algebraicthunk.net/~dburrows/projects/aptitude/doc/en/ch02s03s05.html#tableSearchTermQuickGuide

I noticed how terms might be ANDed together but I would appreicated a working example of this.

[snip]

?and(term1, term2) term1 term2 Select any package that matches both term1 and term2.

[/snip]

Both "aptitude search ~pextra ~smisc" and "aptitude search ~pextra search ~smisc" resulted in a list of package which did not necessarily meet both the search patterns specified.

Table 2.1. Quick guide to search terms

Long formShort formDescription
?=variable   Select the package bound to variable; see the section called “Explicit search targets”.
?not(pattern)!pattern Select any package that does not match pattern.
?action(action) ~aaction Select packages that have been marked for the given action (e.g., “install” or “upgrade”).
?all-versions(pattern)   Select packages whose versions all match pattern.
?and(term1, term2) term1 term2 Select any package that matches both term1 and term2.
?any-version(pattern)  Select packages for which at least one version matches pattern.
?archive(archive) ~Aarchive Select packages from the given archive (such as “unstable”).
?automatic~M Select packages that were automatically installed.
?bind(variable, pattern) ?variable:term-name[(args)] Selects anything if variable matches pattern; see the section called “Explicit search targets”.
?broken~b Select packages that have a broken dependency.
?broken-depType~BdepType Select package that have a broken dependency of the given depType.
?broken-depType(pattern)~DB[depType:]pattern Select packages that have a broken dependency of the given depType matching pattern.
?broken-reverse-depType(pattern)~RBdepType:pattern Select packages that a package matching pattern declares a broken dependency of type depType.
?conflicts(pattern) ~Cpattern Select packages that conflict with a package matching pattern.
?config-files~c Select packages that were removed but not purged.
?depType(pattern)~D[depType:]pattern Match packages that declare a dependency of type depType on a package matching pattern.
?description(description)~ddescription Select packages whose description matches description.
?essential~E Select essential packages, those with Essential: yes in their control files.
?false~F Select no packages.
?for variable: pattern  Select packages that match pattern with variable bound to the package being matched; see the section called “Explicit search targets”.
?garbage~g Select packages that are not required by any manually installed package.
?installed~iSelect installed packages.
?maintainer(maintainer)~mmaintainer Select packages maintained by maintainer.
?narrow(filter, pattern)~S filter pattern Select packages for which a single version matches both filter and pattern.
?name(name)~nname, name Select packages with the given name.
?new~N Select new packages.
?obsolete~o Match installed packages that cannot be downloaded.
?or(term1, term2)term1 | term2 Select packages that match term1, term2, or both.
?origin(origin)~Oorigin Select packages with the given origin.
?provides(pattern)~Ppattern Select packages that provide a package matching pattern.
?priority(priority)~ppriority Select packages with the given priority.
?reverse-depType(pattern)~R[depType:]pattern Select packages that are the targets of a dependency of type depType declared by a package matching pattern.
?reverse-broken-depType(pattern)~RBdepType:pattern Select packages that are the targets of a broken dependency of type depType declared by a package matching pattern.
?section(section)~ssection Select packages in the given section.
?source-package(name)  Select packages whose source package name matches the regular _expression_ name.
?source-version(version)  Select packages whose source version matches the regular _expression_ version.
?tag(tag)~Gtag Select packages that have the given debtags tag.
?true~T Select all packages.
?task(task)~ttask Select packages that are in the given task.
?upgradable~U Select packages that are installed and can be upgraded.
?user-tag  Select packages that are marked with a user-tag matching the regular _expression_ user-tag.
?version(version)~Vversion Select packages whose version matches version (special values: CURRENT, CANDIDATE, and TARGET).
?virtual~v Select virtual packages.
?widen(pattern)~Wpattern Select versions for which pattern matches any version of the corresponding package, discarding local version restrictions.

-M