Re: Customizing the kernel installation process

On Sun, Apr 04 2010, briand@aracnet.com wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 11:00:58 -0500
> Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
>

> for the longest time I have downloaded the kernel tarball and built
> outside of debian.  however I'd like to use the debian nvidia packages,
> so I'm trying to build the kernel in the debian framework.  however,
> rebuilding nvidia for the latest kernel has now become a problem (in
> the debian framework), so I'm thinking about dropping back to the
> tarball method.
>
> Maybe I need to be a little more persistent and then write something
> about rebuilding nvidia to complement Stephen's work.
>
> It is very handy having things installed as packages.

        For what it is worth, I also have an nvidia card. I nowadays
 just use the kernel git tree. My usual sequence of action is to

,----
|  % cd /usr/local/src/kernel/linus-tree.git
|  % git fetch stable
|  % git co -b my-machine-v2.6.33.2 v2.6.33.2
|  % make oldconfig
|  % ./.compile_command
|  % sudo dpkg -i ../*.deb
`----

        Where .compile command looks like:

,----
| #!/bin/sh
|
| export MODULE_LOC=/usr/local/src/kernel/modules
|
| # Optionally, refresh the nvidia module
| # rm -rf ${MODULE_LOC}/nvidia-kernel
| # (cd /usr/local/src/kernel; tar jfx /usr/src/nvidia-kernel.tar.bz2
|
| # make sure we get a machine specific name for the image, even if
| # I forgot toe specify one on the command line
| ev=$(uname -n)
|
| # Use the version extension given on the command line, if any
| if [ -n "$1" ]; then
|	  ev=$1
| fi
|
| make-kpkg --rootcmd=fakeroot --append-to-version=-$ev kernel_image
| fakeroot make-kpkg           --append-to-version=-$ev modules_image
`----

        Once you have your variant of .compile_command, building kernels
 and nvidia packages is  painless :-)

        manoj
--
War is an equal opportunity destroyer.
4096R/C5779A1C E37E 5EC5 2A01 DA25 AD20  05B6 CF48 9438 C577 9A1C