Re: Customizing the kernel installation process

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 11:00:58 -0500
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

> Stephen Powell wrote:

> > I welcome all comments.  Am I full of excrement?  Is there something
> > missing?  What can be improved?  I am especially interested in
> > hearing from lilo users.

lilo user here.  works great.  The _only_ gotcha that I ran into was
forgetting to modify the postinst scripts to point to lilo instead of
that other loader.  But you clearly talk about this, so my bad.

> > Here is the link: http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm.
> > Scroll down to Step 10 and have a good read.  (Unfortunately, it's
> > fairly long.  But I wanted to treat the topic thoroughly.)
> >
> > Commence firing.  Fire at will.
> >

> What about this:
> http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage

that's the link that I tried to use when first trying to build a linux
kernel the debian way and for some reason I just couldn't figure it out.

Stephen's explanation is much more detailed.  Also the postinst and
postrm scripts are invaluable.  and for whatever reason, even with the
extensive explanation I found it _simpler_ to follow.

for the longest time I have downloaded the kernel tarball and built
outside of debian.  however I'd like to use the debian nvidia packages,
so I'm trying to build the kernel in the debian framework.  however,
rebuilding nvidia for the latest kernel has now become a problem (in
the debian framework), so I'm thinking about dropping back to the
tarball method.

Maybe I need to be a little more persistent and then write something
about rebuilding nvidia to complement Stephen's work.

It is very handy having things installed as packages.

Brian