Re: GRUB2 == Non Bootable System

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 17:46:49 -0700
Scarletdown <scarletdown@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just did a fresh very basic Debian Sid install on my "experimental"
> system (one hard drive with only a single partition), basic install
> meaning console only and just the following packages: ssh, mc, samba,
> elinks, sudo, and ClamAV.
>
> After all the packages were installed, I ran apt-get dist-upgrade.
> This replaced GRUB 1.5 with GRUB 2. A reboot showed no problems, so I
> then gave the upgrade-from-grub-legacy command followed by the
> removal of the old unused /boot/grub/menu.lst just as the upgrade
> suggested.
>
> A reboot now gives me:
>
> GRUB Read Error
> Operating system not found

I had this problem not too long ago and the recovery was relatively
painful.  You basically have to boot into rescue, download the
appropriate packages and then re-install either grub or lilo.  I highly
recommend lilo.

There is a web-page somewhere that goes through this in detail - I'm
sorry but I just can't seem to find it.

I'm relatively certain I found the link to it somewhere in the debian
bugs for one of the grub packages.

 Brian