Re: How to read log files

Dotan Cohen wrote:
My 2 cents: read and understand log messages when you are in trouble,
if system is working well, you don't need understand these logs.

But in that case I would not be able to identify the faulty lines in
the log. I need to know what a healthy log looks like, to diagnose a
sick one.

If you are not having a problem right now, look at the logs now. If you are having a problem, look at the logs. It does not take a Rocket Scientist to spot a problem.

google and source code are your friend if you want to understand a
message which you don't understand

At this point I would be googling all the messages, so if there is a
fine manual which documents the messages in /var/log/messages then
that would be great.

You spend more time giving excuses then necessary. Look in the log of interest until you see something that looks like it might be different then the other entries, then Google it. If, and only if, google doesn't give you an answer you can't understand, use this list.

As a last resort buy a book on linux that covers the subject you want answered.

Ok, ready for more excuses......

Wayne