Re: Installing Video Drivers Manually

On 2010-03-30 10:10, Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Carlos Mennens <carloswill@gmail.com> wrote:
For Debian users is there a suggested and correct method for
installing nVidia drivers on their desktop systems? I was told by
other distributions I should only use their respected package manager
to use the nvidia drivers listed in their repository and avoid using
the binary I downloaded from nVidia's site because this would cause
problems. Do you have any suggestions about downloading the installer
direct from nVidia and installing it manually rather than using
'Apt-Get'?

Thanks for any info!

The nvidia installer from upstream will give you issues. In debian we
use module-assistant to install things such as this. You can find a
detailed guide specific to nvidia drivers here:
http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

Hmph.

I've been installing upstream for *years* with absolutely no problems. Nowadays, I even install a "split" driver on my 32-bit distro with 64-bit kernel.

Note that I run Sid and compile my own kernel *from Debian sources*.

The only caveat is that every time mesa gets updated, I must go into /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/ and rename libglx.so then symlink libglx.so.NNN.MM to libglx.so.

Final note: I boot straight to the console, Like God Intended, so it's much simpler for me to muck around.

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid."  Dwight Eisenhower