Installing Video Drivers Manually

For Debian users is there a suggested and correct method for
installing nVidia drivers on their desktop systems? I was told by
other distributions I should only use their respected package manager
to use the nvidia drivers listed in their repository and avoid using
the binary I downloaded from nVidia's site because this would cause
problems. Do you have any suggestions about downloading the installer
direct from nVidia and installing it manually rather than using
'Apt-Get'?

Thanks for any info!