Re: [OT] Help for non-Debian distributions (was How to read log files)

> I have certainly benefitted from the question and its answers.  And Debian is
> my distro of choice.
>
> I would take semantic exception to the questions about "we" supporting him;
> since Jordan is most certainly not supporting Dotan, and the first person is
> therefore inaccurate and inappropriate.
>
> Lisi

My reference to "we" was a reference to the Debian community, which I
consider myself a part of.

I am a regular supporter on the #debian channel on irc.freenode.net. I
can not count the number of times that I have began to help a user,
only to find out their problem is specific to <insert based on Debian
distro here>. While I agree that this particular issue is very general
to Linux itself, people still need to learn to seek help from the
appropriate communities.

Just as a small indication of how often this occurs in #debian, here
is a factinfo comparison to "nvidia":

12:27 <dpkg> ubuntu -- last modified at Wed Feb 13 17:17:41 2008 by
weasel!weasel@weasel.chair.oftc.net; it has been requested 1261 times,
last by rudi_s, 2h 52m 42s ago
12:28 <dpkg> nvidia -- last modified at Sun Sep 20 20:45:26 2009 by
themill!~stuart@themill.user.oftc.net; it has been requested 3207
times, last by remmy, 1d 50m 29s ago.

The "ubuntu" factoid is generally presented to direct a user to get
help at the appropriate channel (#ubuntu).

---
Jordan Metzmeier