Re: [OT] Help for non-Debian distributions (was How to read log files)

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:47:30 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:10:34 -0400 (EDT), Jordan Metzmeier wrote:

(...)

>> Do we support all of them here on debian-users list?
>
> That's not even an exhaustive list.  According to DistroWatch.com, there
> are, at the time of this writing, 253 distributions based on Debian --
> far more than any other distribution!  Some of these distributions are
> now defunct of course, but still that's a *huge* number!
>
> http://distrowatch.com/search.php?
category=All&origin=All&basedon=Debian&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=All

> We can't possibly support them all here.  I agree with Jordan.  I'm not
> trying to be unkind, but each distribution is responsible for its own
> support.  If Camaleón wants to help him, we can't stop him;

Thanks for your understanding. BTW, I'm "her" :-)

I'm always glad to help users requesting help, even more if they are
"long-term" Linux users such I think is the OP as I read him before in
another linux lists and also here, in this debian user list.

> but I try to
> direct users of other distributions to their own organization's help
> forums.  There are too many subtle differences between all the
> distributions.  Advice that I may give based on my experience with
> Debian may not work, or even cause problems, on other distributions; and
> since I don't use any other distribution, I would have no way of knowing
> that.
>
> That's my two cents worth.

Greetings,

--