Re: Intel Core i5 integrated graphics

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 07:14, Johan Kullstam <kullstj_ml@verizon.net> wrote:
> Pasi Oja-Nisula <pon@iki.fi> writes:
>>
>> Anyone have any experience with the graphics in new Intel processors?
>> Should I just leave this alone and get a low end ATI card (suggestions
>> for something that would work out of the box)?
>
> This would require a bit of research since the low end has moved up and
> the xorg drivers typically lag behind.  My x1950 works fine, but it's
> now too ancient to find and you can probably do much better now.
>
> What is the sweet spot for cheap ATI card these days?

It depends the intended use, but the 4000 series with OSS drivers does
compiz, ioquake3, urban terror, etc. these days, and as of 2.6.33, KMS for
ATI is out of  Staging.

There are still improvements to be made in the 4000 series, but they work:
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers