Re: Intel Core i5 integrated graphics

Pasi Oja-Nisula <pon@iki.fi> writes:

> I just retired my 9 year old machine to home use and got a Gigabyte H55-UD3H
> motherboard with Intel Core i5 processor. Well, the first impressions
> are that maybe I should have done a bit more research since there
> are Realtek net and audio chips that might have some issues.

Pretty much all motherboards come with realtek ethernet.  It's well
night impossible to avoid.

I have a gigabyte board too.  The sound is fine even though its a
realtek.

> Anyway,
> I have a 3com card for net

That sounds like a good plan.

> and don't necessarily need audio at all.
> The biggest concern now is with graphics in Xorg.
>
> I'm using Debian Lenny and obviously the integrated graphics are not supported
> there yet. But this is strictly a business machine (browser and a bunch
> of xterms mainly), so I think I would manage a while with even vesa driver.
> And I even got the vesa driver to work with 1280x1024 which fits my monitor,
> so this would be a fine solution for short term. Unfortunately the screen
> looks like this:
>
> 7 1 2 3 4 5 6
> 7 1 2 3 4 5 6
> 7 1 2 3 4 5 6
> 7 1 2 3 4 5 6
>
> So the right side of the picture is shown at the left. I just don't know
> how I could adjust this. I'm using a vga cable btw, maybe dvi cable would help?
>
> Anyone have any experience with the graphics in new Intel processors?
> Should I just leave this alone and get a low end ATI card (suggestions
> for something that would work out of the box)?

This would require a bit of research since the low end has moved up and
the xorg drivers typically lag behind.  My x1950 works fine, but it's
now too ancient to find and you can probably do much better now.

What is the sweet spot for cheap ATI card these days?

--
Johan KULLSTAM