Re: Repartitioning a USB external HD. Need help removing existing partition [SOLVED]

Paul E Condon put forth on 3/25/2010 11:32 PM:

> Western Digital uses what must be the same software technology, but
> they call it Virtual-CD or VCD. They also provide a software fix. But
> the WD fix only disables VCD and makes the small partition
> invisible. It does not release the space on the platter. (OK on a
> 500GB drive, IMHO)

That's because, AFAICT, it's not on the disk platter Paul.  That "partition"
resides in a flash memory chip on the small PCB inside that pretty WD
enclosure.  I.e. it's a phantom, and you can't delete it, nor would you
really benefit if you did.

> I think my problem is solved, but not in a was that makes me happy
> about either company's support for Linux

What other company?  Only WD is at issue here, no?

That's what happens when you buy cutesy Windows/MAC devices without reading
up on your potential purchase BEFOREHAND.  From the PDF on WD's site:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/AAG/ENG/4178-705051.pdf

"SYSTEM COMPATIBILITY
Formatted NTFS for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OSX, Tiger,
Leopard, Snow Leopard (requires formatting)."

Nowhere does it mention Linux, period.  How can you complain about their
Linux support when the product literature doesn't mention Linux?  So, you
assume that the lack of mention means it's supported?  Even though all the
other OS's supported are clearly mentioned, down to each version?  You're
lying the blame at the wrong feet methinks.

> Also the new drive has a different kind of USB socket that I have not
> seen before. About the same size as current small end of USB cable
> but incompatible shape. Why?

You're kidding, right?  You've never seen the mini and micro USB plugs?  The
mini and micro USB plugs have been around for a long time, used mostly by
digital cameras, PDAs, cell phones, basically all the small devices that
need a small plug.  You bought a tiny 2.5" 500GB drive in a tiny case.  It
needs a tiny plug.  And you're surprised and upset by this?  If it's the
latest micro plug, be happy, as it's rated for much higher total
insertion/removal cycles over its lifetime, i.e. it's more durable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

--
Stan