Re: Repartitioning a USB external HD. Need help removing existing partition

>>> This thingy mounts as /media/My Passport
>>> Or some such. Its unplugged not so I can't check(note embedded space in
>>> name)

>> It is an ro U3 partition on the WD usb drive.

> That makes vague sense if WD is trying to play some games.

It is a feature! ;)

There's probably Windows backup software on it; and who knows what else.

In addition to the Windows/Linux link earlier, here's Windows and Mac
U3-removal software:
http://u3.com/support/default.aspx#CQ3

From
http://www.tummy.com/journals/entries/jafo_20090918_011812

After digging around some and finding that my Sandisk Cruzer 32GB was
failing to work in my car stereo because it was showing up as a CD-ROM
drive because of "U3" crud (a Windows convenience), Jim DeWitt found a
Linux utility that I was able to use to get rid of that CD-ROM
partition without requiring me to find a Windows machine.

I wanted to make this post so that others in a similar situation could
find it, since I wasn't able to find anything by search for things
like "linux u3 uninstall".

There's a program called "u3-tool" at Sourceforge
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/u3-tool/). This tool built easily
enough, but I ran into issues when trying to use it via libusb.

What I ended up doing was running "./src/u3-tool -p0 /dev/sdb". That
caused it to create a 0-length U3 partition. At that point, ejecting
and re-inserting the USB drive caused it to only show the USB storage
device, and not the CD-ROM device.