Re: Repartitioning a USB external HD. Need help removing existing partition [SOLVED]

On 20100325_204331, Mark wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > It is a feature! ;)
> >
> > There's probably Windows backup software on it; and who knows what else.
> >

> Helpful post from Tom, I've done similar but only on Sandisk products.  I
> thought U3 was only a Sandisk thing but now WD is using it too?
>
> Some of the Windows software Tom H mentioned and shown
> here<http://www.u3.com/smart/default.aspx>makes me skeptical at best.
> I just get rid of U3 by default now.

SanDisk publishes utilities on its web site that remove U3 on both
Windows and Mac.

Western Digital uses what must be the same software technology, but
they call it Virtual-CD or VCD. They also provide a software fix. But
the WD fix only disables VCD and makes the small partition
invisible. It does not release the space on the platter. (OK on a
500GB drive, IMHO)

I think my problem is solved, but not in a was that makes me happy
about either company's support for Linux

Also the new drive has a different kind of USB socket that I have not
seen before. About the same size as current small end of USB cable
but incompatible shape. Why?

Thanks
--
Paul E Condon