RE: Monitoring AutoFS in SNMP

> We are using autofs to mount cdrom and dvd iso images.  There
> are nearly 100 of them.  Too many to really monitor
> individually so we wanted to just monitor autofs.  It looks
> to me like each auto.* file in /etc spawns it's own process
> and pid.  And the pid changes each time the daemon is
> restarted or the mount point expires and is then re-mounted.
> If we could just monitor the pid spawned by auto.master I
> think that would do it for us.  I asked in another reply in
> this thread if a daemon could be assigned a pid but don't
> have a response yet.

If it spawns a new process each time it mounts a new partition, would it
not have a parent process that would at least be constant on the server?
If that's the case, maybe you should just monitor the parent process.
Otherwise, it would make sense to monitor a partition instead of a pid
for a specific spawned process.

James