RE: Monitoring AutoFS in SNMP

> > I am trying to find a MIB to monitor AutoFS but
> everything I
> > find is tied to the current pid AutoFS is running
> under which
> > of course changes each time it is restarted making it
> useless
> > as a monitoring metric.
>
> I'm not familiar with autofs but if you do a snmpwalk for
> OID
> .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1, you will find a listing of all the
> mounted
> partitions, maybe instead of monitoring autofs, monitor the
> existence of
> a specific partition instead? I assume that's why you'd
> want to monitor
> autofs in the first place anyways.
>
> James

We are using autofs to mount cdrom and dvd iso images.  There are nearly 100 of them.  Too many to really monitor individually so we wanted to just monitor autofs.  It looks to me like each auto.* file in /etc spawns it's own process and pid.  And the pid changes each time the daemon is restarted or the mount point expires and is then re-mounted.  If we could just monitor the pid spawned by auto.master I think that would do it for us.  I asked in another reply in this thread if a daemon could be assigned a pid but don't have a response yet.

Thanks, Brian