RE: why does resolv.conf change?

2nd note that my suggestion to make /etc/resolv.conf immutable was not to keep his changes, but to cause the application making the changes to complain in the event log.  Then the OP could fix or configure the offending application.

The OP said that he did not know which application that was -- causing a failure is a simple way to identify these things. ("FOO unable to write to /etc/resolv.conf" in syslog is a good clue as to the culprit.)

Cheers,

James