Re: why does resolv.conf change?

Clive McBarton schreef:
My /etc/resolv.conf gets overwritten periodically. Any ideas why?

I thought network-manager was the culprit and deinstaled it, but the
problem persists.
As mentioned by others, /etc/resolv.conf is polled by the system when it needs info on how to do a dns lookup. Therefore, dhcp, ifconfig (ifup), wicd, network-mananger etc all can write to that file when they set up some interface. Therefore, dns settings should be set either via dhcp, in /etc/networks/interfaces or via some user-leven config framework like wicd or network-manager.

Sjoerd