Re: How to obtain UUID of drives (squeeze udev lacks vol_id)

> I'd want *proof* (i.e., booting into different distros) that different
> mkswap invocations generate different UUIDs.

I have no idea what proof I can provide except to say that I have been
caught by that.

I installed a second distribution and I could either not prevent it
from running mkswap or forgot to prevent it from doing so and I had,
when I rebooted into the first distribution, an error message about
swap. And it turned out that the swap UUID had been modified.

> Or... use a LABEL.

Every one of the disk-naming options has its pluses and minuses. Since
UUID is the default or becoming the default and it is not worse than
any other option, using another method is not worth the hassle.