Re: How to obtain UUID of drives (squeeze udev lacks vol_id)

On 2010-03-21 17:52, Tom H wrote:
*You* should not need to set the UUID.  It should just magically be
$ /sbin/blkid -t TYPE=swap
/dev/sdb1: TYPE="swap" LABEL="swap1" \

You can cnahe the UUID of any ext partition with

It is Sunday and my first weekend off in a few weeks so my fingers are
on holiday...

tune2fs -U <uuid> /dev/...

But you're *not* supposed to *need* to,

You do need to do so if you install a second/third/fourth...
distribution or version and mkswap changes the UUID of the swap

I'd want *proof* (i.e., booting into different distros) that different mkswap invocations generate different UUIDs.

partition (although I _think_ that you can use "mkswap -U <uuid>") and
you therefore have to boot without swap from your previous install(s).

Or... use a LABEL.

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid."  Dwight Eisenhower