Re: How to obtain UUID of drives (squeeze udev lacks vol_id)

>>> *You* should not need to set the UUID.  It should just magically be
>>> there.
>>> $ /sbin/blkid -t TYPE=swap
>>> /dev/sdb1: TYPE="swap" LABEL="swap1" \
>>> UUID="c69f59ff-b928-4232-b44c-8da0f12c52db"

>> You can cnahe the UUID of any ext partition with

> cnahe???

It is Sunday and my first weekend off in a few weeks so my fingers are
on holiday...

>> tune2fs -U <uuid> /dev/...

> But you're *not* supposed to *need* to,

You do need to do so if you install a second/third/fourth...
distribution or version and mkswap changes the UUID of the swap
partition (although I _think_ that you can use "mkswap -U <uuid>") and
you therefore have to boot without swap from your previous install(s).