Re: gnash vs. flash

On 21 March 2010 17:00, John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
> Dotan writes:
>> Extreme devotion to the principals of FOSS...
>
> Debian is not extreme.  "IP" law is.

IP (why is there no property tax on that, by the way) law is extreme,
I agree. Debian is one of the few entities treating it with the same
extremeness as US courts do. I agree with this position, by the way. I
was not being critical at all. I thought that was clear.

>> ...and the willingness to sacrifice usability (confuse users with
>>application naming, for one) to achieve that goal.
>
> The Firefox naming thing is entirely due to Mozilla's zealotry about
> their trademark.

Correct.

> Go hang around the FSF for a while if you want to see some _real_
> zealotry.

I now understand that there are negative connotations with the word
"zealot". I did not mean it in a negative way at all. Mockery is
flattery, and it gives stage to the idea. I wouldn't want Debian to
change it's stance on the issue at all.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.