DBus error in squeeze i386 system with gnome

About a week ago K3b and Mythfrontend stopped working on my home squeeze system (i386 when running gnome).
K3b gives me the error:

Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." "

Both applications work fine from KDE.

I have tried reinstalling dbus to no avail.

Any clues on how to fix this?

Stuart