Re: SCSI module eata no longer loading automatically from initrd on Sid on i386

Stephen Powell wrote, on 21/03/10 21:58:
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 04:25:45 -0400 (EDT), Arthur Marsh wrote:
Hi, I have a DPT 2044W SCSI adaptor in this pc for a non-boot disk ...

Your post is quite long; and after reading it twice, I still don't
understand exactly what your question is or what problem you are
trying to solve.  I would normally expect Linux to load the driver
modules for SCSI adapters *before* the permanent root file system is
mounted, since, in the general case, the root file system might
be on a partition on a SCSI disk addressed through that SCSI
adapter.  Apparently in your case your permanent root file system is
*not* located on a partition on a SCSI disk addressed through
this SCSI adapter, but in the general case this might be true.
Therefore, it makes sense that Linux would normally load this module
early.

So what's the problem?

The problem was that the eata SCSI module was not loaded from the initrd and therefore fsck and mount of the SCSI disk failed.

I had a look at:

http://wiki.debian.org/InitramfsDebug

and temporarily removed eata from /etc/initramfs-tools/modules, ran:

update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.32-4-686

then rebooted into that kernel, specifying break=bottom on the linux command line in GRUB2.

cat /proc/modules

didn't show eata, but did show all the other modules that one would expect to find at boot-up. Running "modprobe eata" worked, it just should have been loaded automatically.

Arthur.