Re: Tool that monitor time connection

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:15:45 -0400 (EDT), Krzysztof Walkiewicz wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:13:03 -0400 (EDT), Krzysztof Walkiewicz wrote:
>>> Is there any tool for debian, that can monitor time connections of host
>>> with webpages or domains?
>> I'm not sure what you're asking.  It sounds to me like you want some tool
>> on the server side, such as apache, that will keep track of how long a
>> client user was staring at a web page that you served up.  Is that right?
>
> Not exactly, but thank you for your reply. After all I learned something
> new from you. I thought about tool on the client side, something like
> history in a browser (or vnstat tool), but with time connection.
> Something that I can access via SSH and execute.

Client side or server side, there's no persisting connection between the client
and the server; so you can't measure elapsed times.  You can, in theory at
least, make a list of which pages were served up, and when.  But you cannot
easily determine how much elapsed time was spent on a particular site.
You don't know if that page which was served up at 8 AM was being looked
at for 8 seconds, 8 minutes, or 8 hours.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :