Re: Tool that monitor time connection

Stephen Powell wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:13:03 -0400 (EDT), Krzysztof Walkiewicz wrote:
Is there any tool for debian, that can monitor time connections of host with webpages or domains?

I'm not sure what you're asking.  It sounds to me like you want some tool
on the server side, such as apache, that will keep track of how long a
client user was staring at a web page that you served up.  Is that right?
Or did I misunderstand the question?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert, but I don't think this can
be done.  That's because there is no open connection.  Once the web server
has delivered the page to the browser, the connection is closed.  The
user can stare at that page for one second, one minute, one hour, one year,
etc.  The server doesn't know.  That's why web developers use things
like cookies to keep track of "states".  That's why add sellers charge
by the "hit" or the "click".  Of course, if the web page contains a java
applet, the rules are a bit different.  The java applet can request a new
add every 60 seconds, or something like that.  But that's done from the
client side.  On the server side, it serves up the page and then forgets
about you.  On the server side, you keep track of "hits", not connection
times.

Not exactly, but thank you for your reply. After all I learned something new from you. I thought about tool on the client side, something like history in a browser (or vnstat tool), but with time connection. Something that I can access via SSH and execute.

Krzysztof