Re: Nouveau

On 2010-03-18 03:38, David Baron wrote:
On Wednesday 17 March 2010 23:44:35 debian-user-digest-
request@lists.debian.org wrote:
The time has come for the open source nvidia drivers to get full Debian support. Nvidia is still publishing purported upgraded "legacy" drivers
that  will only work on "legacy" Xorg with no warning.
Do you not know what Release Notes are?

Their installation should kick,
What's wrong with it's perfectly functional, logical and clear TUI installation script?
Debian packages have dependencies and it the package is dependent on Xorg < 1.5 !!!!, then it will not install.

I think that Nvidia's installation script can do the same. Debian's current (outdated) nvidia-legacies will no longer compile and install, at least the last I tried them.

Ah, well, the latest driver still supports my card.

     the site should warn before download. This is an old story, royal
pain
the the you-know-where.
Only a pain if you don't know what Release Notes are, and you use a Display Manager because you're too gooey to log into a console like God Intended You To.
I tried the installation from a console. It itself uses a curses GUI which is irrelevant. If it is smart enough to know if X is running, there was a former installation, etc., etc., it is smart enough to check for a compatible Xorg.

Hmmm. Like all Real Geeks, I don't use a dm. So when I'm at the console, I'm *really* at the console.

Thus

> No excuses.

[HUMOR]
Don't be a Girly Boy Windows Wannabe User. Step into the Light and get rid of your dm. startx calls to you. It beckons, saying "Come, my son, leave aside the final remnants of The Darkness."
[/HUMOR]

Besides, if xorg ever craps out on you, you still have a functional system.

[snip]
Still, benchmarks show it trailing way behind the binary driver.
There is NO binary driver for all intents and purposes. Unless one runs .... Windows.

Jokes over.

WTF are you talking about????

The nvidia binary driver and associated libraries have such a clean interface that I'm able to run a 32-bit distro with 64-bit kernel and *still* have nvidia perfectly accelerate my video.

--
Obsession with "preserving cultural heritage" is a racist impediment
to moral, physical and intellectual progress.