Re: Why does installing gnome packages versioned 2.28+6 insist on installing gnash?

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 1:05 AM, Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:
> Gnash is a noble effort.  Gnash sucks.  I want choice, and my choice is
> Adobe Flash.  Installing Gnash screws up Flash.  Right now, I can refuse to
> update GNOME on Squeeze any further, but the time will come when that will
> not be a viable option.  Why does GNOME require Gnash?  And what can I do to
> put a stop to it?

I think this is why we have the whole testing process.

Not all that long ago, one of my almost-daily upgrades pulled in a
whole bunch of dependencies that I really didn't want (details don't
matter).  But, I thought, eh, oh well.  Such is life.

A few days later, all of those packages that I didn't want were marked
as no longer being depended upon, so I was able to remove them.  Yay!
Someone fixed an errant dependency.

I hope that, as the fall out from this thread, something similar will
work out here.

Something along the lines, of I guess, that the Adobe based flash
package will be modified to say 'Provides: flash-plugin', as will
Gnash.  Then appropriate packages will say they depend on flash-plugin
rather than gnash explicitly.

The whole conflicts between gnash/adobe flash issue that someone else
brought up could be worked out later.

Would it have been better if things went along the Provides route
first?  Probably, but maybe there were other issues that prevented
that from happening, and these suggestions are already planned, just
not yet implemented.

Such is the life of living on the edge sometimes.

mrc