Re: Change Useradd Behavior

Carlos Mennens <carloswill@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have never heard this before in years or using Linux. I am not
> saying you're wrong but I would just like to know why I should not use
> 'useradd' rather than 'adduser'. I assumed that it was just personal
> preference for which you preferred to use but I could be wrong
> according to your above statement.

  "adduser" is actually a perl script that runs "useradd". It has more
sanity checks, an interactive mode, cleans up after itself on error, etc.
From the "useradd" manpage:

DESCRIPTION
       useradd is a low level utility for adding users. On Debian,
       administrators should usually use adduser(8) instead.

  That said, if you're comfortable using "useradd", go ahead, nobody's
stopping you. :-)

  Cheers,
    Tyler