Re: udev: same serial on different disks

Hello,

>> hmm... how can I "catch" which is the label of the attached disk?
>

> "ls -l /dev/disk/by-label" will tell you if there is any current label on
> the filesystems. Look:
>
> sm01@stt008:~$ ls -l /dev/disk/by-label
> total 0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 mar 17 07:50 ALFA -> ../../sda2
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 mar 17 07:50 system2 -> ../../sda3
>
> I use to specify a label on partitions at install time, when formatting,
> even though I do not use it :-P.

thanks, sorry I think we don't understand each other...
I know how can I determine labels, I would like to make some elegant
way for user
plug USB disk, and udev catch that event, send an email for me which
contains serial
part of disk. I think I can do that just udev calls a script which
read the label...

>> 'Cause (theorerically) udev gives disk id by disk phisycal attributes, eg
>> serial...
>> Label is _not_ a phisycal attribute (as I know).
>

> Well, it's a physical attribute as soon as you write it on the disk :-)

It's good for a joke... :)

>> Is there any way?
>
> You said before something about writting udev rules "to differentiate the
> disks". What is your main purpose on this? I mean, you can mount them
> using their "label" nomenclature :-?

no, the system is so far for me, I just administrate it.
There are two disks for backups. Users (near system) change disks every
monday. They need to know, which is the next disk (eg.: user misses change
disk at last week...)
After the user plugs new disk it need to send a notify message, backup disk
has changed, and which is the new disk.

So, I belived it till now udev and rules can handle this - udev calls
a script with a
parameter, and scripts send a mail - but now it need to find the
label/correct id,
and after it can send the mail.

>>> Yes, but they get a different ID: one disks lasts with "B000" and the
>>> other with "B0008". Curious :-S
>>
>> hmmm... I think they didn't _get_ serial - they _have_ serial. and my
>> problem is system can't recognize that. And it's more than curious... :P
>
> I'm not sure this works when using USB enclosures (as not all ATA
> commands are passed to "smart"), but it is worth a try:
>
> smartctl -i /dev/sdb
> smartctl -i /dev/sdc

meantime a user unplugs disks, so _currently_ I can't check it out.

> And put here the output (if any). That should give us more information
> (serial number, firmware release, etc...) about the drives.

ok, thanks.

> It's possible the drives have indeed the same serial number, or just that
> udev is not gathering the right information from the right place, who
> knows... we have to dig a bit more.

no, I'm sure it's not, 'cause the symlinks couldn't shows different serial...

(and it's been working a few months ago - may be the last update messes it...?
it was in January)

thank you for your help: