Re: Debian VM freezes

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:29:49 -0700, christos.kolias wrote:

> Hi, When I am running debian-gnome-desktop (ver. 2.22.3) VM on Sun
> VirtualBox (ver. 3.1.4) it sometimes freezes (i.e., when downloading a
> file) - my only option is to reset the VM which means losing any files I
> have installed, and any work I've done since it reboots from scratch. Is
> there any way to shut it down without losing my work (the shutdown
> option btw does not respond).

A VM is like a true OS in this respect, so no, if the system hangs there
is no way to recover the data, that is, you have to perform a "hard
reset" by shutting down or resetting the machine. The same remains true
for standard (real) installations.

What you have to do is debugging the system "lock/freeze" the same way
you would do with a real system.

Tips:

1/ Can you ssh into the VM when is locked? Maybe is X what freezes and
not the kernel.

2/ Do you have any interesting information about the lock in the logs?

3/ VirtualBox tends to "pause" the VM and you have to manually put into
"play" again. I think it pauses the machine because it has low resources
available. Check the host specs and guest VM settings for system and
video RAM.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón