Re: Debian VM freezes

On 16/03/2010 19:29, christos.kolias@orange-ftgroup.com wrote:
> Hi, When I am running debian-gnome-desktop (ver. 2.22.3) VM on Sun
> VirtualBox (ver. 3.1.4) it sometimes freezes (i.e., when downloading a
> file) – my only option is to reset the VM which means losing any files I
> have installed, and any work I’ve done since it reboots from scratch. Is
> there any way to shut it down without losing my work (the shutdown
> option btw does not respond).
>

> Thank you in advance.
>

> Christos Kolias
>
> Orange Labs San Francisco

Well, your first problem is finding why it freezing. I don't know about
virtual box but in VMWare the "shutdown button" only works if you have
VM Tools installed in the guest, maybe this is similar? Also, if it is
freezing, why would you expect it to be able to shutdown gracefully? You
could try pausing the guest, but when you un-pause it will probably
still be frozen. This isn't too dissimilar to a normal PC freezing. If
it locks up you reach for that reboot button