Re: New Lenny to Squeeze install problems on ASUS eee

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 22:31 +0000, Lisi wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 March 2010 04:37:18 Marc Shapiro wrote:
> > I am running Lenny on my desktop and would prefer to run Debian on the eee,
> > as well.  So I found EeePC/HowTo/Install on the wiki and used the custom
> > installer to install Lenny, as was suggested.  The wiki seemed to suggest
> > that I might have better luck getting wireless to work with a newer kernel,
> > so I did an immediate upgrade to Sqeeze.
>
> This is probably too late to be useful, but you may not need to upgrade.  I
> had the same problem on my Acer One, and was able to solve it by backporting
> 2.6.30-bpo.2-686 from Lenny Backports.
>
> Lisi

I have a 1005HA.  I first went to Squeeze but quickly backed down to
Lenny + backports.  This was primarily because my principle desktop is
KDE and KDE 4 still left basic functionality missing (although I really
like the concept).  I used Gnome for a while but found there were still
some issues.

I did then reinstall using Lenny.  Before I did, I downloaded the latest
2.6.32 kernel from Sid and copied it to a USB stick as recommended.  The
rest of the installation went very well using the docs.  I still find a
few quirks.  It took me a while to get network-manager working for
wireless (this is an area where Gnome on Squeeze was much, much better).
Most annoyingly, there is some problem where the mouse (either attached
or the touchpad) does not seem to have its released noticed by the OS.
As a result, mouse movement can sometimes have unexpected results.

So, that's how I installed and what I found.  Hope it helps - John