Re: Unusable free space?

Steve Lamb wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>> You're worried that that a mass renaming of partition numbers will
>> cause your system to not reboot?  That's why LABEL and UUID are now
>> used in grub (lilo is restricted to device names) and fstab.
>
>     Call me a luddite but UUID < partition numbers for the simple reason
> I can manually write down numbers and be pretty sure I didn't transpose
> one of the 4 pieces of data required to get it to work.  Every time I
> see a UUID I just wanna thunk my head against the desk.

Which is why I use labels instead.  I can use labels that are words that
make sense WRT the usage of the partition:

  LABEL=debian_root
  LABEL=Vista_repair

I had to create the label myself, with something like e2label, initially
(installed before learning I needed this feature ;(

But if doing a new install, you can easily assign labels if you choose
the advanced partitioning method.

--
Bob McGowan