New Lenny to Squeeze install problems on ASUS eee

If there is a better place to ask this question, please let me know.

I am running Lenny on my desktop and would prefer to run Debian on the eee, as well.  So I found EeePC/HowTo/Install on the wiki and used the custom installer to install Lenny, as was suggested.  The wiki seemed to suggest that I might have better luck getting wireless to work with a newer kernel, so I did an immediate upgrade to Sqeeze.  Almost everything installed.  I got an error saying that hal could not be configured unless udev was upgraded, and udev could not be upgraded without a more recent kernel than the 2.6.26 that was in Lenny.  Since I specifically wanted a newer kernel, this did not worry me, but I am having no luck installing the kernel.  The most recent kernel that I could find in Squeeze was 2.6.32-3 so I tried to install it and got pretty much the same error as when I did the upgrade.  It said to upgrade the kernel before, or at the same time as udev, so I attempted to install all three: hal, udev and the kernel at the same time.  I
 used the command:

   aptitude install hal udev linux-image-2.6.32-3-686

Aptitude said it would install 2 packages (the kernel and one other), upgrade udev and configure hal.  Great!!!  Except that it doesn't.  It just gives me the same set of errors.  Since those errors are on me eee, which does not yet have wireless access, getting the exact messages (they are long) would be difficult.  If anyone can help me with the information above that would be great.  If you need more info, let me know and I will gather it, somehow.

 Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com