Re: Unusable free space?

On 2010-03-16 17:04, Steve Lamb wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
You're worried that that a mass renaming of partition numbers will cause your system to not reboot? That's why LABEL and UUID are now used in grub (lilo is restricted to device names) and fstab.

Call me a luddite but UUID < partition numbers for the simple reason I can manually write down numbers and be pretty sure I didn't transpose one of the 4 pieces of data required to get it to work. Every time I see a UUID I just wanna thunk my head against the desk.

That's why there's also LABEL.  You just gotta do your own uniqueness.

--
Obsession with "preserving cultural heritage" is a racist impediment
to moral, physical and intellectual progress.