Re: New Lenny to Squeeze install problems on ASUS eee

Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Tue,16.Mar.10, 00:36:27, Chance Platt wrote:
  aptitude install hal udev linux-image-2.6.32-3-686

Your computer has to be running the more current kernel before udev
updates .. reboot into the newer kernel and finish (aptitude
full-upgrade).

...but the new kernel won't install.

Because you are installing the kernel in the same run you can force udev to accept the upgrade by creating a specific file. I don't recall what file, but it is mentioned in the error message.

Regards,
andrei

Apologies for my terse response.  After re-reading the thread, some clarity:

As long as you haven't removed the linux-image packages from Lenny before you dist-upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze/testing, everything should just work. The steps I use:

1) Start dist-upgrade (aptitude full-upgrade)

2) Wait for it to complete. udev will not fully install, but the kernel will install just fine.

3) Reboot into the new kernel, and complete upgrade (aptitude full-upgrade). aptitude will configure udev and finish the rest without issue.

The last step is the important step. The udev package, and udev itself, will not be happy until you're running live on the newer kernel.

It all happens automatically. From what I understand, there may be some minimal risk to this (udev not fully configured and functioning on reboot) but I've done this a dozen times on real machines and in virtual machines without issue.

If the kernel itself is not installing - there's some other issue here I don't understand. Understand however, that when an updated linux-image package installs, you are not actually using it until you reboot your computer using that image.