Re: New Lenny to Squeeze install problems on ASUS eee

Marc Shapiro wrote:
If there is a better place to ask this question, please let me know.

I am running Lenny on my desktop and would prefer to run Debian on the eee, as well.  So I found EeePC/HowTo/Install on the wiki and used the custom installer to install Lenny, as was suggested.  The wiki seemed to suggest that I might have better luck getting wireless to work with a newer kernel, so I did an immediate upgrade to Sqeeze.  Almost everything installed.  I got an error saying that hal could not be configured unless udev was upgraded, and udev could not be upgraded without a more recent kernel than the 2.6.26 that was in Lenny.  Since I specifically wanted a newer kernel, this did not worry me, but I am having no luck installing the kernel.  The most recent kernel that I could find in Squeeze was 2.6.32-3 so I tried to install it and got pretty much the same error as when I did the upgrade.  It said to upgrade the kernel before, or at the same time as udev, so I attempted to install all three: hal, udev and the kernel at the same time.  I
 used the command:

   aptitude install hal udev linux-image-2.6.32-3-686

Your computer has to be running the more current kernel before udev updates .. reboot into the newer kernel and finish (aptitude full-upgrade).