device node not created for usb DVD/CD drive

When device is plugged:

$ dmesg | tail -n 9
usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
usb-storage: device found at 4
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
scsi 2:0:0:0: CD-ROM            PLEXTOR  DVDR   PX-716AL  1.02 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
scsi 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 5
usb-storage: device scan complete

check device node:
zhangweiwu@casablanca:~$ ls /dev/sr*
ls: cannot access /dev/sr*: No such file or directory
zhangweiwu@casablanca:~$ ls /dev/sg*
/dev/sg0

Trying to use /dev/sg0 instead of expected /dev/sr0 in "thoggen" (DVD
ripping software), I was told /dev/sg0 is not a block device.

The following doesn't help
# /etc/init.d/udev restart

I suspect some kernel module is missing, but being a amateur I don't
have a clue how to check which is missing.

The box is

$ cat /etc/debian_version
lenny/sid

Kernel is compiled by other amateurs who shared it on the Internet as
deb package, as OEM shipped crippled kernel YET standard kernel in
debian package wouldn't work thanks for special hardware:

$ uname -a
Linux casablanca 2.6.27.19-fulong2f #1 PREEMPT Wed Mar 11 07:22:32 CST
2009 mips64 GNU/Linux