Re: How to know if USB device has driver properly installed?

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 22:19:05 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I am trying to get a USB device working. In lsusb the ID shows up, but
> the name of the device does not. Is this an indication that the driver
> is not properly installed?
>
> For instance, this is how functioning devices look in lsusb:
> Bus 005 Device 003: ID 413c:8126 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 355 Bluetooth
>
> However, the device that I need to operate does not show the name,
> only the beginning of the line like this:
> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 104f:0006
>
> Does that mean that the device driver is not properly installed?

No, it only means that this combination of vendor ID 104f (WB
Electronics) and device ID 0006 (Infinity Smart) is not listed in your
/var/lib/usbutils/usb.ids file. You can run "update-usbids" to get the
newest version. The contents of the usb.ids have no influence on the
process by which the kernel tries to find modules for devices, AFAIK.

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |