Re: Debian 5 security issue

On 2010-03-09 21:46, Bret Busby wrote:

In running sybaptic, to check for available system updates, I
encountered the following message, and it is not the first time that I
have encountered the message.

"Granted permissions without asking for password
The '/usr/sbin/synaptic' program was started with the privileges of
the root user without the need to ask for a password, due to your
system's authentication mechanism setup.

It is possible that you are being allowed to run specific programs as
user root without the need for a password, or that the password is
cached.

This is not a problem report; it's simply a notification to make sure
you are aware of this."

I have not knowingly configured the system to institute this system
security breach.
How do I eliminate
this system security breach?

This is standard behavior for GNOME, you can turn it off. I can't remember how, but it is a gnome option, available inside the GUI. Look for it.