Re: rendering languages?

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 03:23:37 Zachary Uram wrote:
> Instead of seeing Japanese characters I see a bunch of square boxes.
> If I copy/paste into Gedit I see same weird boxes.

I used to have this problem, but this is what I now see, and I have
successfully copy-pasted it into OpenOffice.org and Kwrite, as well as to
here.

畠山 祥子

I don't know what exactly solved the problem, but something did.  Presumably
one of the folowing - or both!

I installed some Japanese fonts and installed and configured Skim.

That's it. I  now see Japanese symbols, both kanji and kana.

HTH
Lisi