Re: KDE and Squeeze

On 9 March 2010 00:22, Sam Leon <debian@net153.net> wrote:
> lrhorer wrote:
>>
>>        I loaded up an embedded system with Debian recently.  I was having
>> problems relating to the older kernel in Lenny, so I want ahead and
>> installed Squeeze.  I got things working, but I was mortified with
>> KDE4, which installed with Squeeze.  It's horrible.  I mean really,
>> really bad.  KDE3 wasn't exactly spectacular, but it was good enough. This
>> hunk of junk, though, is really quite unacceptable. Ignoring the
>> fact that Kpackage was just plain broken - which I assume will be fixed
>> before Squeeze goes gold - the UI for KDE4 is brain dead.  I have
>> several servers and a couple of workstations which will sooner or later
>> need to be upgraded to Squeeze, but I do not want KDE4 on them in the
>> shape it is now.  Is there a way to allow everything else to upgrade,
>> but hold back KDE and its dependants?  Barring that, is there a way to
>> get KDE4 to look and behave like KDE3?

I have been using KDE4 since 4.0 came out. Never really been a big fan
of either KDE or GNOME in the past, but the KDE4 series, the ideas and
the technology behind it, and especially the VERY RAPID evolution have
caught me -- have a peek at KDE 4.4, I reckon you'll have a nice
surprise: it's beautiful (IMO, of course), VERY customizable, snappy,
has plenty of desktop paradigms to choose from and I'm sure you can
get it to behave more or less like KDE3 with a bit of customization,
even though I totally miss the point there -- apart from the rant.

- Cassiano