Re: How to know if DVI connection is digital or analogue?

> As you can see from the pictures, the pinout variations¹ allow different
> subsets of the pins to be used.  Typically the female end on your
> graphics card will be DVI-I and support all options, while the cable from
> the display will have just the subset of the pins it needs.
>

> For example, if you connect a digital monitor to a DVI-I port it *can't*

Here I assume you meant DVI-D, not DVI-I?

> use analogue signalling: it's physically missing the C1-C4 R/G/B/HSync
> lines.  Typically these would only be found in a DVI->VGA converter or
> cable.  Just checked my monitors' cables and they are all DVI-D; if it's
> an LCD, it probably won't even have the ability to do the analogue to
> digital conversion, even if the connector didn't physically prevent it.
>
> There may be weird monitors out there that accept both digital and
> analogue inputs over DVI, but I've never seen one.  If you are
> suffering from such a situation, using a DVI-D cable would prevent any
> use of analogue signalling.
>
> The only other variations are dual link (just an extra 6 pins), and
> DVI-A for analogue only (I've never ever seen this one, and this is
> just the C1-C4 pins and 3 data pins removed).

I'll forward this message on exactly, it explains exactly the
situation perfectly. Thank you!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.