OT by now: Overwrite existing partition with zeros without hurting partition table? (Debian Lenny)

On 3/7/2010 7:40 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 2010-03-07 19:21, Richard Hector wrote:
On Sun, 2010-03-07 at 18:42 -0600, Mark Allums wrote:

If you are decommissioning, there is no substitute for an electric
drill.

What, just drill a hole in it? That will only affect a small part of the
disk.

I think our sysadmin team has a large log-splitting axe - much more
satisfying :-)

I'd vote for melting down the platters :-)

Many platters are now made of glass a ceramic. A swift whack on the side
of a table should do the trick. If not, a likewise swift whack from a
claw hammer should shatter it into a jillion pieces.

If the platter is aluminum, then a belt sander or grinding drill bit
will take care of things.

I have actually drilled a few holes, then submerged the drive under water for a week (with a little salt added to speed up the corrosion.) But this is extreme (and eco-unfriendly).

Why? well, as an experiment, mostly. I don't have anything (but a credit card number or two) to hide. (I don't encrypt or lock anything away, either.)

I just like to fiddle around. I disassemble old drives usually, in order to extract the magnets. They're fun to play with.

M. Allums