Re: [SOLVED] Overwrite existing partition with zeros without hurting partition table? (Debian Lenny)

thib wrote:
Just to drop my two cents, since no one did before: Merely zeroing is
not enough [1].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_remanence

And if you see the notes:
http://www.nber.org/sys-admin/overwritten-data-guttman.html

"Since writing the above, I have noticed a  comment  attributed to
Gutmann conceeding that overwritten sectors on "modern" (post 2003?)
drives can not be read by the techniques outlined in the 1996 paper, but
he does not withdraw the overwrought claims of the paper with respect to
older drives."

--
Odd