Is there a command line tool for creating 3d text effects?

I'm trying to get some nice 3d text into beamer presentations for the title instead of the boring standard text.

Something like this hopefully:
http://www.math.tau.ac.il/~michf/example.jpg

Only solution I found is to use \write18 and some external tool to create an
image. I got convert to create text with shadow but I can't get the 3d effects.

Is there any other command line tool that can create an image with a 3d (bevel
+ shadow) effect or is there a way to get this out of convert?

I got closer using gimp with a bumpmap but I don't know how to get it to do
this in batch mode and I have to admit that it's effect is rather poor compared
to the one in the sample (created by powerpoint which I wish to avoid)

Thanks